Monday 12 December 2011

Jonny Wilkinson


Jonny Wilkinson, New Zealand, 2011


Jonny Wilkinson has announced his immediate retirement from international rugby. My sadness is not about his departure, but about the timing.

I remember his first England appearance in 1998 at Twickenham, the youngest player ever to win a cap.

I was there for his monumental moment-of-glory in Sydney, 22nd November 2003, when he kicked England to victory as world champions. But I was also there for the end: 10th September 2011.

For me, his selection for the Rugby World Cup 2011 was a mistake: for England, for Jonny, and for his many, many admirers. He failed to find his form in Dunedin against Argentina. It was upsetting to watch our once-hero reduced to kicking only 3 goals out of 8 attempts, to hear the barracking from Kiwi fans, and to see his talent fade.

A fine player, a complex man, he won’t be forgotten.


No comments:

Post a Comment